Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Media Ownership: Concentration and Conglomeration


For this assignment I looked online to find some media conglomerates and found a website that had a few different companies listed and all of the other companies they own. I decided to look at what AOL Time Warner owned and found they own many different types of media including Film, Internet, Music, TV, Publishing and Recreation companies. Out of all of these I decided to work with all the different magazines that they owned. I looked up covers of a bunch of the magazines AOL Time Warner owns and from that made a collage over a sign that said the company’s name, “AOL Time Warner”. For my animation, I then had the magazine covers open like curtains on a stage to reveal who owned all of them. Overall I used 15 magazine covers and that was not even all of the magazines AOL Time Warner owns which is amazing. I enjoyed doing this project because it was interesting to see who really owns who in this big world where we think nothing about how many own all of these media products we love.

Website link:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/giants/aoltimewarner.html

No comments: